The BMW C Evolution electric scooter was launched in the spring of 2014 and is manufactured by BMW Motorrad. The idea is to produce sustainable motors without compromising speed or quality. These electric mobiles are used for security patrolling, leisure, or even for personal use for riding around in a clean, environment-friendly way.
The concept for the C evolution electric scooter is based on the 2011 BMW E-scooter. BMW showcased five of these C evolution prototypes during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Later in 2016, they released the C evolution long-range with a new battery of 94 Ah that increased the speed range to 160 km. They presented this long-range at the 2016 Paris Motor Show.
The C evolution, also known as C Evo, is a part of the sustainable motors series by BMW along with C 600 Sport and C 650 GT.
You will get the same lithium-ion 94 Ah battery in C evolution that is found in the BMW i3 car. These batteries are exclusively air-cooled, and the motor is liquid-cooled. The qualities that make it stand out from other electric scooters on the market are its 48 horsepower and 53 pound-feet of torque on tap; this enables it to accelerate from 0 to 52 km/hr in just 2.7 seconds.
- Its top speed is 80mph.
- It comes in 4 riding modes (roads, sail, eco pro, dynamic)
- Acceleration pickup from 0-31mph in 2.7 seconds.
- It contains three battery modules
- Multifunctional display with onboard computer.
- Due to its range, you cannot ride more than 70-99 miles.
- Its price is $13,750, which is quite expensive in its category.
- It runs on a liquid-cooled drive motor.
- 3 kW charging rate with an integrated charging unit
- Maximum speed of 80 mph
- Equipped with automatic recuperation when coasting and braking
- Has cast-aluminum wheels
- 65.9-degree steering head angle
- Fully fueled and unladen weight is 606 lbs.
Buyer’s Guide: BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter
- If you are looking for a high-end, quiet electric scooter, this would be an option to go for. It has a 133 volt, 94 Ah lithium-ion battery with a 3kW charging rate. It uses a liquid-cooled drive motor and gives a speed maximum of 80 mph. It has a range of 70-90 miles, and accelerates from 0-50 km/hr in 2.7 seconds. Overall, a sustainable scooter with 48 horsepower.
- What makes it unique from other electric motors is its backup assistant, which helps you to control careful movements at low speeds. It is designed to avoid confusion with clutches and gears. Just switch on the electronics, and the C evolution system starts working the moment you flip up the side parking stand. You have four driving modes, namely road, sail, eco pro, and dynamic.
- The only thing you need to worry about before investing in this is the BMW C evolution electric scooter cost and range. Its price is $13,750, and its range is 70-90 miles. It is quite heavy in weight, but it is well balanced when driving. It makes very little noise while driving, such that other vehicles nearby will barely be able to hear it. It has a quick charging facility but still takes 4 hours to be fully charged.
Features And Benefits: BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter
Powerful Liquid-cooled Electric Motor And High Voltage Battery
The rear wheels on this electric scooter are connected through a swingarm that is powered by a drivetrain that uses a permanent magnet motor. The connection is made using a belt and ring mechanism that has teeth. The electronically limited top claimed speed of 75mph is a result of this powerful motor that is capable of giving 11 kW of rated power output and 35 kW of peak output.
Due to its air-cooled 8 kWh lithium-ion battery, C evolution can easily give you 62 miles without ever stopping to charge it. It can be charged with any domestic mains supply. It takes between 3-4 hours to get fully charged depending on the kind of outlet that you are using to charge it.
Torque Control Assist (Tca)
This feature works similarly to the Automatic Stability Control feature on a BMW motorcycle with a combustion engine. In simple words, torque control assist controls the motor’s torque based on the slip on the rear wheel.
When the rear wheel exceeds the threshold of slipping, the electronic motor monitors it and reduces the drive torque. TCA is helpful when the vehicle is starting or braking and when surfaces like wet roads that lack friction.
Four Ride Modes And Intelligent Recuperation
This kind of energy regeneration method has never been used for single-track vehicles; BMW is the first. The C evolution is designed to recuperate or regenerate its electrical energy.
At the same time, the throttle is closed (the throttle is responsible for the flow of fuel and gas mixture; closed means the engine is stopped) and even when the brakes are applied.
The four ride modes can be selected as per the rider’s preferences for road mode, where you have medium recuperation and full acceleration. For dynamic mode, it is a combination of strong recuperation and full acceleration.
For eco pro mode, we have high recuperation and reduced acceleration. There are no brakes at all for sail mode, which means it suppresses recuperation while coating with the throttled release and C evolution electric vehicle glides along virtually free of any braking effects.
Led Daytime Running Light And Large Tft Display(color)
An innovative characteristic of the C evolution is its equipped with a reversible aid that helps you maneuver at slow speeds. Its LED daytime running light turns on dimly to double as the sidelight. For comfortable riding in winters, they have heated handlebar grips.
The TFT color display displays information like current speed, average consumption in kWh/100 km, battery charge status in kWh, total power consumption, average speed, the voltage of the onboard electrical system, and the remaining range as per the mode selected. It also shows you a graph to indicate the current level of energy draw or regeneration.
BMW also fitted this electric scooter with a new design and color scheme. The color scheme has a meaning to it: the light white non-metallic denotes the super dynamic performance, and the electric green symbolizes its eco-friendliness.
Alternatives: BMW C Evolution Electric Scooter
#1. Zero DSR
- Has a similar range to C evolution, i.e. 60-70 miles.
- The design is more of a sports bike style.
- Its top speed is 102 MPH, which is less than C evolution.
- Lighter than C evolution with a curb weight of 419 lbs.
- Its peak power is 52 kW.
- Charge time is 2 hours.
- Run up to 9.8 hours with 100% full charge and also has some charge tank options.
- Price is $15,495.
#2. Honda EV-Neo
- Specially designed for delivering goods, and hence offers torque with loaded goods.
- A lithium-ion battery that fully charges in just 30 minutes(only if the surrounding temperature is 25 degrees).
- Can carry up to 30 kgs of goods.
- Digital meter displays mileage, remaining battery, and progress indicator.
- An automatic energy-saving system that shuts off the power when the rider is away from the scooter for a specified time(if you leave the power on)
- It weighs 233 pounds.
- Runs on AF71M AC synchronous motor.
- The rated output is 0.58.
- The base price for the model, without the regular charger and quick charger) is $4095.24.
#3. Honda PCX electric
- Runs on AC synchronous motor.
- The digital display has a speedometer, trip meter, and clock.
- It has a battery capacity of 20.8 Ah.
- It has a charging point, but you cannot charge it at home.
- It has a push-button start and automatic transition.
- The price is $1946.68.
- Engine: 8.5/10
- Brakes: 8.5/10
- Comfort: 8.5/10
- Transmission/Clutch: 10/10
- Appearance: 8.75/10
This offering from BMW reduces your carbon footprint but with style and an added comfort of heated grips. With a powerful engine and TCA (torque control assistance), you can ride in different modes like road, sail, dynamic and eco pro, and also control your vehicle at a slow pace.
It has a special energy regenerative system that will work every time you apply brakes and also has a color display that shows speed, battery, time, and more. From this review, we can conclude that the BMW C evolution electric scooter is an overall excellent eco-friendly scooter.