We live in a world where traditional fossil fuels are destroying our environment day in and day out. Keeping the earth’s atmosphere clean is a challenge all over the globe.
A good option for maintaining a green environment is an electric scooter, which does not burn fossil fuels for transportation. With growing awareness about environmentalism, many people are now opting for electric scooters rather than gas-powered vehicles.
But are electric scooters for adults street legal? Well, the answer is not straightforward. All vehicles are governed by federal, state and even local laws.
Driving an electric scooter may be legal in your state but may not be legal in your city. If it is legal in your town, then it may not be permitted on your college campus!
So, the answer is not a simple yes or no. This article will discuss the rules and regulations regarding electric scooters in various places in the United States. By the way, I also wrote a separate article on electric scooters legalization in London.
Are Electric Scooters for Adults Street Legal?
Some cities allow you to drive an electric scooter, while other cities don’t. Puzzling, right? The laws for electric scooters in the United States are not very clear.
Electric scooters are a recent phenomenon, and our legal system has taken its sweet time catching up with this new mode of transportation. Even now, the rules and regulations surrounding electric scooters are hazy.
The same laws govern electric scooters as electric bikes, and according to U.S federation law (2002), an electric bike on the streets is legal if the top speed is less than or equal to 20 mph. Secondly, the power of the motor should be below 750 W.
If your electric scooter satisfies these two conditions, most of the United States states allow your electric scooter in the streets.
But your electric scooter should have a good suspension system, tires and steering. In some states, the police will check whether your electric scooters have a rearview mirror, horn and lights to determine if they will allow your electric scooter on the road.
I will now discuss the laws surrounding electric scooters in specific states.
Are Electric Scooters Legal in Texas?
If you purchase an electric scooter to drive in Texas, your scooter should follow these criteria:
- Your electric scooter should have two wheels and a deck where you are going to stand while driving.
- The electric scooter should have brakes, and the motor power should not be above 900 W.
- The speed limit of your electric scooter should be 35 mph or less.
- It should have an option for human power generation.
But, before buying an electric scooter in Texas, you should also check the rules and regulations of electric scooters for your specific city.
Are Electric Scooters Legal in California?
You need to follow these rules if you want to drive an electric scooter in California:
- Your electric scooter should have a deck where you will stand or a seat where you can sit and drive. It should receive power from the electric motor.
- The driver of an electric scooter should be at least 16 years old, and they should wear a helmet while riding. They should also have a driver’s license.
- You are permitted to drive your electric scooter in the bicycle lanes or trail. If any road does not have a bike path, you can drive your electric scooter on the road at a speed not greater than 25 mph. You should ride your electric scooter very close to the right-hand curb.
- You do not require any license plate on your electric scooter while driving in California. Insurance is not mandatory either.
Are Electric Scooters Legal in Georgia?
Georgia allows people to drive an electric scooter on roads, but the weight of the electric scooter should be less than 100 lb. You can drive your electric scooter on bike paths and trails, and if any road does not have bike paths, then your speed limit should be less than 35 mph.
Are Electric Scooters Legal In New York?
Electric scooters were not legal in New York until August 2020, when they were officially permitted for the first time. There are specific rules and regulations that you need to obey if you plan to drive an electric scooter in New York.
- You should be above 16 years old.
- If your age is below 18, it is mandatory to wear a helmet while driving.
- The speed of your electric scooter should not exceed 30 mph.
Are Electric Scooters Legal in Florida?
The governor of Florida made it legal to drive an electric scooter in 2019. There are specific rules which you need to follow while driving an electric scooter in Florida:
- You must be at least 16 years old to drive an electric scooter in Florida.
- A driver’s license is not mandatory.
- You should drive your electric scooter in the bike lanes.
- Your electric scooter’s speed should not exceed 15 mph.
Is Your Electrical Scooter Legal in Indiana?
You need to follow these rules if you want to drive an electric scooter in Indiana:
- The weight of your scooter must be less than 100 lb.
- The maximum speed of your electric vehicle must be 20 mph.
- Insurance and driver’s license are not mandatory.
- You can drive on the streets as well as bike paths.
Is Your Electrical Scooter Legal in Massachusetts?
There are no specific laws for electric scooters in Massachusetts. The laws for motorized scooters apply to electric scooters.
You need to follow these rules if you want to drive an electrical in Massachusetts:
- You must wear a helmet while riding your electric scooter.
- Your electric scooter must have an audible signal.
- The maximum speed limit of your electric scooter cannot exceed 20 mph.
- A driver’s license is mandatory.
Is Your Electrical Scooter Legal in Iowa?
The state of Iowa introduced a bill in 2019 and set out the rules for driving an electric scooter:
- The weight of the electric scooter should be less than 100 lb.
- It should have two or three wheels, a floorboard, and be powered by an electric motor.
- The maximum speed of the electric vehicle should be less than 20 mph.
- You can drive your electric scooter on roads, sideways and bikeways.
Best Street Legal Electric Scooters for Adults
We’ve compiled a list of the best street-legal electric scooters:
The Segway Ninebot Es4 Electric Kick Scooter is extremely lightweight and has an 18.6 mph top speed. This electric scooter has 8-inch large solid non-pneumatic tires and has front and rear shock absorption. You can travel to your destination rapidly with this electric scooter.
#2. Glion Dolly
The Glion Dolly is one of the best electric scooters for the road. It is lightweight and has a maximum speed of 15 mph. The handle height is 36.5 inches. There are two eight-inch wheels in the Glion Dolly, and they consist of rubber.
The Razor Ecosmart Metro is the best electric scooter for the road. You will find it equipped with 16-inch tires, disc brakes, an adjustable seat and a handlebar. The motor is 500 W, and the maximum speed of this electric scooter is 18 mph. There is a cargo carrier where you can carry your groceries or any other personal items.
The Gotrax commuting electric scooter has a 250 W motor, and its maximum speed is 15.5 mph. It has a digital display to inform you of the speed and battery life. You can easily fold it and take the scooter with you when you’re finished riding it. It is one of the best electric scooters for road use.
The E Wheels – EW-11 Sport Euro Type scooter is one of the best electric scooters for the road. It has three wheels and a removable rear storage component. The maximum speed of this vehicle is 12 mph.
Cheapest Electric Scooter
There are various electric scooter brands that anyone can easily afford and enjoy riding on the road.
One of the cheapest street legal electric scooters is Swagtron which you can purchase for fewer than a hundred dollars.
An electric scooter is an excellent option for saving our environment. Adults and kids both enjoy riding an electric scooter. But are electric scooters for adults street legal?
The laws fluctuate from one state to another. You can ride an electric scooter with relatively few restrictions in some states, but you need to follow some additional rules in some other states. For example, it may be mandatory to wear a helmet, have a rearview mirror and follow various other regulations.
So, you should check the rules and regulations of your local area before purchasing an electric scooter for you or your kids. While riding an electric scooter, you should obey the rules of the road and regulations of traffic and look out for pedestrians. Please try to use bike lanes while driving an electric scooter on the road.
If you are looking for electric scooters for commuting, I wrote a separate article on that.